The mission of the Markham Woods Pathfinder Club is, through outdoor adventure activities, to develop in the church’s young people a lasting respect and love for God, for family, for others, for the church and for nature.
Adventurer-age children are discovering their own identities, developing values and expanding their horizons in a variety of ways. The Adventurer Club offers an experience beyond church and school that is both unique and appealing, and that for many may not be available anywhere else.
The Adventurer Club utilizes hands-on activities, geared specifically for this age group, to provide experiences and develop skills that will be beneficial throughout life.
- Instill spiritual and social values.
- Teach children both individual and team skills.
- Develop in each child a sense of self-worth and self-reliance.
- Create a bond of friendship and respect between children and adults.
- Ensure a sense of belonging–to the Adventurer Club, to the Markham Woods congregation, and to the Seventh-day Adventist denomination.
- Inspire a desire to serve others.
- Promote a love and respect for nature.
- Instill a sensitivity for the feelings of others.
- Teach personal responsibility and self-control.
- Encourage children to transfer the skills and lessons learned in Adventurers to the family, school, church and community setting.
The Markham Woods Adventurer Club is open to young people in grades K-3 who meet ONE of the following criteria:
- One legal guardian of the child is a member of Markham Woods SDA Church.
- (OR) the child and his/her legal guardians are not Seventh-day Adventists.
Our regular meetings start in late August and continue until April. We meet about twice a month on Wednesday nights from 7:00 – 8:30 pm. Uniforms Markham Woods Adventurers do not wear the traditional Adventurer uniform, nor do we give out any honor patches. Our Adventurers are given a club T-shirt at the beginning of each year, and they are expected to wear it at EVERY Adventurer meeting. Campout Markham Woods Adventurers go on one campout per year (weather permitting) toward the end of March. We typically meet at the camping location on Friday afternoon around 5:30 pm and depart on Sunday morning after breakfast. Adventurers must camp in a tent with their legal guardians.
“Free for All” Philosophy: We do not charge anything for Pathfinders because Markham Woods Church has a “Free for All” philosophy
Many organizations “nickel and dime” their members nearly to death. Markham Woods Church seeks to be an exception. As part of its overall philosophy, the church does not charge for most activities.
There are several reasons for this:
- First, it’s a pain to always be collecting money at church social and recreational events.
- Second, we don’t want our activities to only be enjoyed by the “Haves” and exclude the “Have Nots” from participation. If we charged, some people wouldn’t be able to join in.
- Third, it’s more efficient just to give money to the Church Budget than to pay for the services provided by the church, because money given to the church is tax-deductible. The cost covers the T-shirts, all materials for crafts and activities at the Wednesday night meetings, the food at the Christmas and Year-end Parties and the cost of the campout conducted toward the end of March. However, no Adventurer is charged one penny. It’s all paid for by the Church Budget. Nothing is ever truly free. Someone pays. Our approach simply ensures that it’s paid in the most efficient and most inclusive way possible. Please continue to support our Church Budget. Thank You!