Statement of Mission
The mission of the Markham Woods Church Adventurer Club is, through a variety of hands-on activities, to develop in the church’s children a lasting respect and love for God, for family, for others, for the church and for nature.
Statement of Philosophy
Adventurer-age children are discovering their own identities, developing values and expanding their horizons in a variety of ways. The Adventurer Club offers an experience beyond church and school that is both unique and appealing, and that for many may not be available anywhere else.
The Adventurer Club utilizes hands-on activities, geared specifically for this age group, to provide experiences and develop skills that will be beneficial throughout life.
Statement of General Goals
- Instill spiritual and social values.
- Teach children both individual and team skills.
- Develop in each child a sense of self-worth and self-reliance.
- Create a bond of friendship and respect between children and adults.
- Ensure a sense of belonging–to the Adventurer Club, to the Markham Woods congregation and to the Seventh-day Adventist denomination.
- Inspire a desire to serve others.
- Promote a love and respect for nature.
- Instill a sensitivity for the feelings of others.
- Teach personal responsibility and self-control.
- Encourage children to transfer the skills and lessons learned in Adventurers to the family, school, church and community setting.
The Markham Woods Adventurer Club is open to young people in grades K-3 who meet ONE of the following criteria:
- One legal guardian of the child is a member of Markham Woods SDA Church.
- (OR) the child and his/her legal guardians are not Seventh-day Adventists.
For more information about the Markham Woods Adventurer Club, please read our ADVENTURER HANDBOOK.
The deadline to register your child is Monday, August 14, 2016. Make sure to read the Markham Woods Adventurer Club Handbook, and review it with your children, before beginning the ONLINE REGISTRATION.
We will hold a MANDATORY parent’s meeting on Saturday, August 20, 2016, at 6:00 pm. Your child cannot join the club unless one LEGAL GUARDIAN attends the entire meeting.