Statement of Mission
The mission of the Markham Woods Pathfinder Club is, through outdoor adventure activities, to develop in the church’s young people a lasting respect and love for God, for family, for others, for the church and for nature.
Statement of Philosophy
Pathfinder-age young people are at a pivotal stage in their lives: They are establishing their own identities, fine-tuning their values and assuming increasing responsibility. To assist in this developmental process, the Markham Woods Church provides active Sabbath School and Christian Education programs. The Pathfinder Club offers an additional experience that is both unique and appealing, that is not part of these other ministries, and that for many may not be available anywhere else.
Young people have a natural love of adventure. Thus the Pathfinder Club utilizes camping and other exciting outdoor activities to teach lessons and develop individual and team skills that will be beneficial throughout life
Statement of General Goals
- Teach spiritual concepts through outdoor adventure activities.
- Teach young people both individual and team skills.
- Develop in each young person a sense of self-worth and self-reliance.
- Create a bond of friendship and respect between young people and adults.
- Ensure a sense of belonging to the individual unit, to the Pathfinder Club, to the Markham Woods congregation and to the Seventh-day Adventist denomination.
- Inspire a desire to serve others.
- Promote a love and respect for nature.
- Instill a sensitivity for the feelings of others.
- Teach personal responsibility and self-control.
- Encourage young people to transfer the skills and lessons learned in Pathfinders to their family, school, church and community.
The Markham Woods Pathfinder Club is open to young people in grades 4-12. There was a time (not too long ago) when anyone could join Markham Woods Pathfinders, but the club got way too big. As a result, only young people who meet ONE of the following criteria can join the club:
- The young person is a member of Markham Woods SDA Church.
- (OR) one legal guardian is a member of Markham Woods SDA Church.
- (OR) the young person and his/her legal guardians are not Seventh-day Adventists.
For more information about the Markham Woods Pathfinder Club, please read our PATHFINDER HANDBOOK
To apply to become Pathfinder Club Staff, CLICK HERE.
The deadline to register your child is Monday, August 14, 2016. Make sure to read the Markham Woods Pathfinder Club Handbook, and review it with your children, before beginning the ONLINE REGISTRATION.
We will hold MANDATORY meetings on Saturday, August 20, 2016. Your child cannot join the club unless one LEGAL GUARDIAN attends the required meeting(s). Here’s how the meetings are organized:
- 4:00 pm – PATHFINDER CLUB ORIENTATION (for parents who are new to the Markham Woods Pathfinder Club, or who have not had a child in the club in the last 2 years)
- 5:00 pm – PREPARING FOR THE PATHFINDER YEAR (this meeting is for ALL parents and staff!)